Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word file format.
- The submission follows word length requirements (full length scholarly articles between 4,500 and 6,000 words and ideally around 5,600 words in length or 1,000 words for visual essays, including reference list).
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines (https://www.intellectbooks.com/asset/728/house-style-guide-4th-ed-2020.pdf). (Please note that the house style for Intellect is a version of Harvard formatting.)
- The text is double-spaced; uses 12-point, Times New Roman font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- Visual essays include a word document with inserted images. In addition, a supplemental submission with a suggested layout for the visual essay should also be submitted.
- The submission is completely blinded so that none of the authors' names are anywhere in the submission.
- Submission references at least one IJETA article or visual essay.
- The submission uses British English spelling throughout.
Visual Essay [Image/text based submission]
CALL FOR VISUAL ESSAYS
Image/text-based submissions should integrate image and text in a creative way to document, evaluate and reflect on art-based learning activities, events and outcomes. Submissions should consist of no more than 1000 words of text. They should include full references and an author biography where relevant in accordance with our author guidelines.
Submissions should be in Microsoft Word format. Visuals in proposals should initially be sent as low-res JPEG files embedded within the Word document. If image/texts are selected for publication, contributors will be asked to provide high quality images to the Editor and will be required to guarantee copyright clearance. Contributors should note that this journal is printed mainly in greyscale.
For more information about the journal and details of how to submit an image/text feature please refer to Guidelines for Authors and to the Publisher's Guidelines.
A review should be about 800-1000 words long and written for other art educators from all over the world. Hence a review is interpreting the book for them, letting them know both what it is about and also what you think about it.
It is not necessary to include any references. If references are deemed essential, the number should be kept to an absolute minimum (two or three at most).
Books can be about any aspect of art and design education. Here are some examples: learning and teaching in art and design; curriculum; history of art and design education; assessment; museum education; community education; art and child development; drawing theory; art as expanded field of practice; craft theory; craft education; social context of art and design education; multi-cultural art education; fashion and textiles; visual culture theory. We might be interested in books on closely related topics, such as aesthetics but not general education books. Books can cover any sector from pre-school to post-compulsory and be about formal or informal learning. We are especially seeking books from non-Anglophone nations.
Send copy to the Reviews Editor, Dr Nicholas Houghton:
The International Journal of Education Through Art requires authors to complete a copyright consent form before work can be published. You can download a consent agreement form by clicking here. The form may be submitted with your contribution, but MUST be completed if your work is accepted for publication.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.