About the Journal
The International Journal of Education through Art [IJETA], is the English language journal that promotes relationships between art and education. The term ‘art education’ should be taken to include art, craft and design education. Each issue, published three times a year within a single volume, consists of peer-reviewed articles mainly in the form of research reports and critical essays, but may also include exhibition reviews and image-text features.
Particular emphasis is placed on articles that:
- Critically reflect on the relationship between education and art
- Propose original ways of rethinking the status of education and art education• Address the role of teaching and learning in either formal or informal educational contexts and along side issues of age, gender and social background
- Adopt an open and inventive interpretation of research-based analysis
- Promote and experiment with visual/textual forms of representing art education activities, issues and research.
The journal is interdisciplinary in its reflection of teaching and learning contexts and also in its representation of artistic approaches and practices. It provides a platform for those who wish to question and evaluate the ways in which art education is practiced, disseminated and interpreted across a diverse range of educational contexts.
Potential topics include: Art, craft and design education; Formal and informal education contexts; Meaning making, image and identity in art education; Public, community and environmental art; Performance and installation art; Pedagogy and emerging technologies; Policy and practice; Trans-cultural issues: Visual communication and culture.
Submissions can be made at any time online by registering at: http://ojs.library.ubc.ca/index.php/ijeta/index
Access to IJETA Volumes and Issues
If you are an InSEA (International Society for Education through Art) member, then you have free access to IJETA. Go to the InSEA website: http://www.insea.org
- once logged in, go to My Profile in top right corner
- on user page profile, find IJETA tab and click it
- click on new IJETA tab
- this takes you to all volumes and issues of IJETA and you may read and download any article or visual essay for free.
If you are not an InSEA member, then you may subscribe to IJETA or find a library who has a subscription to IJETA.