Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
Author guidelines have been reviewed and accepted by the author.
The submission is an original work and has not been previously published in another journal, magazine, website, or any other publication forms. This includes sites such as adademia.edu or personal blogs, where articles are available for public distribution. The submission cannot be before another journal for consideration, unless an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor.
The terms in Canadian Literature's Publishing Agreement have been read and accepted by the author. See here for a sample Publishing Agreement for articles, reviews, poetry, and print interviews.
Images and Supplemental Media
Canadian Literature does not publish poems or reviews with supplementary images. Upon occasion, when it is vital to the argument of the paper, we might include images in an article.
It is the author’s responsibility to obtain written permission to use copyrighted material, photographs, or artwork that may be included in their work. The author is also responsible for paying permission fees and costs of reproduction. When obtaining permission, emphasize that this journal is a not-for-profit publication. Fees may be lower for educational publications than for commercial publications. Your request will need to include print and web permissions, since your work will be published on our website and in a print journal.
Canadian Literature is available online through EBSCO, Gale, and ProQuest Subscription Services. Visual supplements will not be included in the aggregator version of your work.
The image specifications are:
- Minimum 1800 pixels wide
- Variable height, depending on the image ratio
- 300 dpi (dots per inch)
- JPG or TIFF only
Style and Prescriptions
- Articles must be anonymized and cannot include the author's name or any self-identifying details, which must be removed from the text, endnotes, and file properties.
- Word length, including notes and works cited, is less than 8,000 words.
- The submission is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; has italics instead of underlines; provides URLs for the references where available; uses endnotes instead of footnotes; and conforms to MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 8th edition.
- Files must be in Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Articles in Portable Document Format (.pdf) will not be accepted.
- Word length for book reviews falls within the assigned word limit.
- The submission is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; has italics instead of underlines; provides URLs for the references where available; and conforms to MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 8th edition.
- Files must be in Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) format.
- Poet holds Canadian citizenship or is a permanent resident with a Social Insurance Number.
- Poems are maximum two pages each, and no more than five poems are allowed per submission.
- Files must be in Portable Document Format (.pdf) to ensure proper spacing and formatting.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.